6 ways to celebrate International Women’s Day with your team
International Women’s Day (IDW), celebrated on March 8th each year, is the day where we advocate for women’s rights and equality – worldwide.
Here’s a brief history of the birth of IDW.
- 1909: 15.000 women protested for voting rights and better work conditions in New York City.
- 1909: the first National Woman’s Day (NWD) was held in the US.
- 1910: Women’s right activist Clara Zetkin proposed International Women’s Day at the second International Conference of Working Women in Copenhagen with unanimous support of all attendees.
- 1911: International Women’s Day was honored for the first time in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland. The date was fixed on March 8, two years later.
- 1975: The UN celebrated IDW for the first time
Why is it important for you to put care into this day?
First and foremost, it’s important to advocate women’s rights and equity everyday! Though this dedicated day can help raise more awareness and activate support for women’s rights and equality. And today, I’m helping you with 6 ways of celebrating International Women’s Day with your team and as an individual.
But before I start, I want to share the theme of International Women’s Day 2023: #EmbraceEquity IDW shared the following statement on their official IWD website: “For IWD 2023 let’s all fully #EmbraceEquity. Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination. A world that’s diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women’s equality. Collectively we can all #EmbraceEquity.”
Let’s start, shall we?
1 Engage for the #EmbraceEquity photo challenge on social media with the embrace equity pose (hugging yourself) and write a story how you and/or your team embrace equity
To fight stigma and equity, we need to open up and talk. You can do this via your company (ask your social media manager for support), with your direct team members, or as an individual. Great social media platforms are LinkedIn and Instagram for this challenge.
IDW wants us to embrace equity, and to show this you can strike an embracing pose. See image as exampke
#2 Host a panel discussion or attend an official one online.
It’s important to tune into stories of women who share their experiences, knowledge and expert advice, as this brings inspiration and calls to action.
- As a company: If you host an event at your company, look for internal and external women who together can bring value and inspiration during a panel discussion. Make sure to include a moderator who prepares questions and can include the audience in conversation
- As an individual: start exploring your company events, community events, or if you’re unsure, explore the IDW Event showcase page where you can search for all kinds of events listed across the world. Link: https://www.internationalwomensday.com/EventSearch
#3 Express gratitude and say thank you!
Thank-you campaigns are exercises in gratitude that uplift the spirit of this day! You can do this in a formal or informal way, as a group or individually. An example: host a (virtual) coffee morning to honor your women employees.
#4 Educate yourself in women’s rights, women’s health and equity.
There are many ways to educate yourself, documentaries / books / Online learning, and it’s up to you how you like to learn
- Feminists: what were they thinking
- Period. End of sentence
- We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- I Am Malala by Christina Lamb and Malala Yousafzai
- Period Power by Maisi Hill
- Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science-and the World by Rachel Swaby
Attend a panel discussion, Masterclass, or go even further and explore women’s group programs or individual coaching.
I’m proud that I can contribute to IDW with my services and it might be a great start for you as a company, or individual:
- I’m a speaker with a mission to raise awareness on women’s health at work. I do this through inspirational talks and masterclasses about the women’s cycle and hormones, and how you can optimise work through cyclical living
- Individual coaching program: Reset your hormones in 4 months, through bi-weekly coaching sessions.
Group coaching program: Fertility Awareness Program (FAM method)
If you want to learn more about any of these services for IDW celebration, or in general, feel free to contact me by email or get in touch via my contact form
#5 Donate to organizations around the world that support women and girls.
- Global fund for women
- Women’s global empowerment fund
- Malala fund
- Free a girl (US / Netherlands)
If you know a great organization to support, please add them below in the comments!
#6 Use the IWD free resources as inspiration to do something in the week of March 8th.
They offer Zoom backgrounds, social media cards and many more things. https://www.internationalwomensday.com/Resources
International Women’s Day is to celebrate and I hope we can celebrate this together on March 8th and every other day!
Get in touch! IG: roosand.co | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.roosand.co
#internationalwomensday #womensrights #celebratewomen
Learn the three official ways to track your cycle